Tuesday, March 19, 2019

89. American Bison


            One of the symbolic animals of the American West that I really admire is the bison, sometimes known as the buffalo. I’ve never seen large herds of them on the Great Plains—in fact, when I’ve seen them in the plains states they were domesticated and being raised for their meat. Where I have seen them in the wild is in Yellowstone National Park and the surrounding areas of southern Montana. They always seem so benign that they deceive tourists. Sometimes they seem more statuesque than living, sitting or standing so still for great spans of time, usually near a geyser or a colored mud pot. Nearly every year someone in the park is trampled and killed by a charging buffalo. I can easily imagine it, walking along a park boardwalk, getting close to that statuesque creature just to see if it is really alive and then suddenly it proves to be more alive than you ever were, trampling you into a bloody mound in the mud of a hot spring.
I have never been the tourist who even begins to get so close to those extra-large cattle. I live where moose and bear have both wandered through my lawn, so I know they aren’t just larger versions of a stuffed toy. Sometimes I wonder if in that moment of charging the buffalo collectively remembers all the slaughter and carnage our species inflicted upon them and suddenly its rage can no longer be contained in some symbol we used to stamp upon our nickels. When I am envisioning this (for I have never seen a tourist succumb to such stupidity near wild animals) I can’t help but hold a great amount of respect for such a noble creature that represents a different era and a sense of freedom that no longer exists in the way it once did. Now they are confined to a few farms, and a national park and its surroundings. It doesn’t even roam free on our currency anymore. I probably am more reminded of loss when I see the bison, but I’m glad there are a few of them still around, still taking moments to exalt themselves above human stupidity. I am a great admirer of the American bison, a reminder of a beautiful, violent and tumultuous history.

No comments:

Post a Comment