Thursday, September 5, 2019

105. Cross Country Skiing


            I’m not tired of the summer yet, so don’t get me wrong, but I love to cross country ski. There are plenty of times when I can just hike a little way out of town with my skis and venture into the woods right outside my door. But there is also plenty of time to take little trips to the hills and speed along on the groomed trails around here. Winter is that time of year for me when it is really hard to get myself out for a run. I don’t like to run on icy roads because more than once I have fallen and injured myself. But with skiing none of that matters. Yes, of course I’ve fallen when skiing also, but landing in a pile of snow has never injured anything more than my pride. I guess I don’t ski fast enough to do any serious twists to injure myself either.
            But aside from all that staying fit stuff, skiing is just beautiful. Trees covered in snow, white vistas over the hills, sunny skies, cloudy skies—it doesn’t matter. I love going with friends and as I get older I’m prone to believe that is the best way. But I still enjoy it alone in the spaces close to my house.
            I know it’s not a particularly American thing. In fact, I think with its Nordic title it must be European. But in these northern climes it’s an activity that pretty much anyone who can walk can get out and do to keep themselves active and to see new scenes. It’s like one of those beautiful snow globe scenes and you get to be the guy who shakes it and the little figurine inside that gets to enjoy the falling snow. And it’s a pretty painless fee when you consider the fact that you can go almost anywhere where there is snow. So as an American of European descent who is a bit of a cheap skate but loves to be active, I highly recommend cross country skiing in the winter if you live somewhere where there is plenty of snow. It’s just one more way to enjoy our beautiful country and take pride in being American.

No comments:

Post a Comment