Wednesday, February 12, 2020

126. American Travel Amenities


            I’m really grateful that here in the US travel is relatively easy and when I get somewhere I can find adequate amenities such as food and lodging. Sometimes it might not be the most luxurious of lodgings or the most decadent of meals but I have faith that I can find a place to stay that is clean and food to eat that is safe. Even in little burgs like where I live that aren’t geared for tourism there are a few bed and breakfast establishments and restaurants around. They all have to meet health code standards and if they ever fall short of those standards they can (and should be) held accountable.
            We have hotel chains that are very accommodating. There are the old standards of Best Western and Holiday Inn and the more luxurious like the Hilton or the Sheraton. If you plan on spending a few nights you can always rent a suite but if you only plan on a quick shower and a bed you can easily rely on an affordable Motel 6. These days most hotels and motels offer free wi-fi so you don’t have to worry about staying connected. You can almost always find help for planning your day with the front desk. The people there want to help you, they want you to enjoy yourself and possibly return for another stay. So why wouldn’t they be helpful?
            And, of course, we have great food here in the US. We have a variety of authentic ethnic restaurants, places to stay awhile and have a cup of coffee or beer, and quick drive-up places where you can get a sandwich to go. Some of our chains have grown so popular and pervasive that you can find them in other countries around the world. I’m not going to deny that when I’ve been abroad and not sure what to do for a quick bite that I’ve fallen back on a McDonald’s burger. On a hot summer’s day in Europe I’ve spent a little too much to get a soft drink with ice at an American chain restaurant when I knew I’d not get such luxury anywhere else, even if I felt slightly ashamed that I’d fallen back into my American ways of being somewhat spoiled.
            We’re a vast country, but because of our varied ways and our shared diversity we know something about a level of comfort and we gladly provide it to the weary traveler. I’m grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment