Friday, March 20, 2020

129. American Wildlife

            Our country is pretty big and it covers a lot of territory from the arctic wilderness of Alaska to the subtropics of Florida, not to mention the tropical territories. Because of that we have a lot of different types of animals and they all have their own unique qualities. Orca whales are pretty amazing creatures and I feel quite fortunate to have witnessed them in the wild. I’ve seen them in pods in the inlets of Alaska and Puget Sound. I’ve also had the opportunity to snorkel and see sea turtles in the Pacific of Hawaii.
            Growing up in Idaho I have been exposed to Chinook and Sockeye salmon and their gradual depletion, a depletion which we, here in Idaho, hope to turn around. And when you think of salmon in Alaska you have to remember the Grizzly bear which feasts on those fish every summer. I know we have Grizzly here in Idaho, Washington, and Montana but I’ve only seen them in the wilds of Alaska in Denali National Park.
            Deer, elk, and coyotes are plentiful around here, though the reintroduction of the wolf into Idaho (and consequently the surrounding states) has taken somewhat of a toll on the local elk population. If I make my way east of the mountains into Montana I have seen herds of buffalo. In fact, they hunt them just north of Yellowstone, though I must confess I see little sport in that. One might as well go out in the pasture and shoot cattle. Of course, there are black bear and moose all throughout the northern Rockies and black bear are comfortable all over Appalachia. One can also find mountain lions, cougars, or panthers throughout the country in pockets here and there with names varying to fit the people of that region (but all three are the same thing).
            And when you move further south you get to see alligators, armadillos, and America’s marsupial, the opossum. In the southwest there is also that amazing little road runner. In Maine there is the Atlantic lobster. Don’t forget eagles. The American Bald Eagle has again become a more common bird to see, as has the wild turkey. I can take a run along the Palouse River or a drive around Lake Coeur d’Alene and see Bald Eagles and a drive almost anywhere in north Idaho will bring an encounter with turkeys. It encourages me to see how the endangered species act has not only protected those species but brought them back to thriving communities. I like knowing that just because we humans are getting thicker we can still help, instead of decimate, other species. I know I’ve only scratched the surface in wildlife in our country because there is so much diversity. There are zillions of unique animals and we are fortunate to live in a country with such a diversity of wildlife. It’s just one more thing to be thankful for in this country. In fact, this evening I’m going on a drive to see the elk grazing in the pastures just out of Harvard.

No comments:

Post a Comment