Wednesday, August 5, 2020

150. Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes


“Jack Sprat could eat no fat, his wife could eat no lean
And so betwixt them both, you see, they licked the platter clean.”
           
These random little rhymes were taught us from infancy. Sometimes we learned them from parents singing to us, sometimes we learned them from teachers at school, and sometimes we never really learned them until we got older and read a few books. There are zillions (or seemingly so) of them but we, here in America, got most of our nursery rhymes from a very clever, real person living in colonial Massachusetts (which explains references to pound, pence and London Towne in distinctly American rhymes) having been born in England. In reality she is a conglomerate of mothers of the Goose name in Boston and she is sometimes credited with being a woman named Mary Goose. I don’t know much about her, but I’m a cemetery fanatic but once upon a time I encountered her grave in the cemetery next to the Boston Commons.
            Sometimes I find an odd comfort in those old nursery rhymes, “Wee Willie Winkle runs through the town in his nightgown…” They come from a place of safety in our minds from long ago and, more importantly, they are the reassurance of our ancestors from ages back letting us know we would be okay. Who knew that there were fad diets even in the 1600’s? Mother Goose as she aptly wrote of it in Jack Sprat (if indeed that is one of her rhymes…) And here we are renaming old diets with things like the Paleo Diet or the Atkins Diet or whatever. It’s either a no fat or no lean diet, isn’t it?
            I would venture to guess that more English-speaking people quote Mother Goose than the Bible or William Shakespeare. Maybe I’m giving her too much credit. So what if she was just a collector of folk verse? I am pretty sure she made up a few of her own and those were collected, then redone for new children and originally penned by dear old Mother Goose? She’s as much a fairy tale as her rhymes.
            Even here as I write in the summer sun and notice a spider, I can’t help but think of Little Miss Muffet on her tuffet breakfasting on curds and whey (I’m not a fan of whey, but curds are wonderful). “Along came a spider and sat down beside her and frightened Miss Muffett away.” Like Miss Muffet, I’m not a fan of spiders but I’m a more modern American, so when I see a spider I just smash it.
            I find it easy to slide back into childhood with one of those little rhymes, and also an imaginary earlier time of innocence where little pigs go to market and stay home and eat roast beef (!) and cry whee whee all the way home. All periods of life have had difficulties, yet when the plague raged we inherited “Ring Around the Rosie,” so now while we’re being plagued by a new virus I find myself returning to the age old comfort of Mother Goose rhymes and the snippets of another age that was also tough, yet mothers and fathers still loved and comforted their children, and now we, their grandchildren still love and comfort our children with the same rhymes. Funny how comforting our children comforts us. Funny how we think so many things are new, yet really they are simply reiterations of the past. Funny how that is comforting.
            “Little Jack Horner sat in a corner eating his Christmas Pie. He put in his thumb and pulled out a plum and said, ‘My, what a good boy am I.’” While most of us don’t have plums in our Christmas pies, its fun to think of it, isn’t it?


No comments:

Post a Comment