Tuesday, November 10, 2020

162. Food Abundance


While it may be true that there are many people in the US who are food insecure, as a nation we are food abundant. I don’t live in a wealthy community but it is an agricultural community that gets its livelihood from farming and timber. Right now, during the pandemic we have sporadically closed and reopened various businesses, but we still (with federal assistance) are able to feed all of our children through our school closures. Our local food bank remains open for business and is taking care of our community members who are now dealing with food insecurity.

Personally, I have noticed that we, as a family, have filled our pantry and freezer with enough food to get us through the winter and any possible temporary closures of businesses. We will be able to celebrate Thanksgiving and share our bounty with others because there is not a food shortage in our country. After necessary quarantining our immediate family will be able to gather and have the traditional American harvest celebration with turkey and all the traditional trimmings that go with that dinner.

I know that doesn’t cover all the food insecurity and I think it’s a little crazy how everyone does not have enough to eat when our country is a regular cornucopia. While I’m thankful that we, as a nation, have all this food, I also think we need to work to share what we have with those who don’t. There are all kinds of organizations that help to feed those of us who don’t have enough food or who are struggling right now in this economic downturn and the pandemic. Consider giving to one such organization in your community if you have the means. I really believe that gratitude is something to share and that’s a big part of these blog entries. This is the season to give thanks and I am so thankful that I and my family have enough to eat and the means to share some of that. I won’t be able to have a big gathering for Thanksgiving but I can still share and I plan on doing just that.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment