Thursday, April 15, 2021

183. American Faith


Religion in America, like everywhere, can get a little complicated. In spite of that, I appreciate the ways of faith in America. There is no doubt that people use religion to manipulate others, but the over riding nature of individualism in America and the fervent belief in separation of church and state keeps faith, as it should be, a very personal thing. I find that encouraging and I find it remarkable. Part of it is that something so individualistic as faith, whether it be Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism or the myriads of other faiths continue through the barrage of the mob mentality that is only human and part of the secularized modern world.

Personally, I am Christian and my own faith is in the grace of God toward an undeserving humanity, a grace and forgiveness that I believe in sharing and extending to others no matter what. I know that the tenets of my faith are those written of in the bible, particularly the New Testament, but that Christianity in America can get really complicated by a list of what to do and what not to do. I’ve fallen into that trap from time to time as well. Generally, I think it is an attitude of service toward the good of mankind and through Christians that the grace of God is extended, not a prescribed list (nor is it only Christians who can extend the grace of God).

It is my faith that spurs me forward and protects me from despair. I have hope and that is definitely a part—if not the whole—of my American optimism that others may view as naïveté. I share this faith with millions of others in my country, though every single one of us might interpret it slightly differently in very individualistic American terms of how we live out that faith. I know it gets debated in the halls of Congress on a regular basis, even while being disguised as something else like health and safety and responsibility and the ever-certain taxation of the masses. I won’t deny that I find many American Christians stuck in that battle for the entire existence of our experiment. But while I may sometimes deride a false Christianity, I have no doubt that our wrestling these questions is necessary. My very existence is predicated upon my faith in God and my hope lies in this faith that was given to me in America and so many other faiths have also been granted here. I am grateful for this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment