Saturday, July 10, 2021

193. Bend Distillery


Some of the best things in life should not be indulged too much and I’ve always felt that way about alcohol. I enjoy a drink now and then but my feeling is that when I buy a bottle of alcohol it should last me a few months and I should enjoy the flavors, not a buzz. That being said, it’s pretty obvious by my entries in this blog that I enjoy wine and beer and I typically have a glass with my dinner. Every now and then during the summer or holidays I’ll have a cocktail. I wouldn’t know a thing about making cocktails without some experimentation and a little tasting of some booze.

A great distillery in Central Oregon is the Bend Distillery in Bend. I got to know about this place by trying some Crater Lake Gin a few years back. Then, when we went to the Deschutes Brewery a few times there in downtown Bend, we noticed the Bend distillery was right next door. We decided to go in and buy a bottle of gin and they convinced us to try a few distillations they had. I’m pretty sure that if it cost more than the cheap $5 I would have passed, but I’m glad I tried them because some of them were quite pleasant, and a few not so pleasant. I’m not one to drink whiskey, so I wasn’t too excited about their Rye Whiskey. Very seldom can I tell one vodka from another unless it is flavored, but I did enjoy their Northwest Berry Vodka and their Hazelnut Espresso, which was more of a sweet liquor. My favorite is still the gin, but they have a Private Reserve Crater Lake Gin that I decided is the best. It’s spendy, but we bought a 750ml bottle along with a regular larger bottle of the regular Crater Lake. I think the thing I like about it is not only that it’s local, but that it uses the juniper berries of the Central Oregon juniper forests. It’s a nice touch of Americana that adds a great flavor to a local gin. There’s nothing better than an icy gin and tonic on a hot summer’s day. But if you prefer a cold screwdriver or a greyhound you can also find a nice vodka at the Bend Distillery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment