Tuesday, February 15, 2022

222. Craftspeople


There are all sorts of things that get done that you just overlook because they are there and functional. As I write this, my kitchen counter and cupboards are being taken out so that we can have new, more functional cupboards. It takes a special kind of person to build the cabinets, to figure out just how big or small to build something, just where to connect the electrical wiring—all the sorts of things that I have never wanted to do and have learned to use fairly explicit language to ease my frustrations when I’m even attempting it. These people have a sort of patience that extends far beyond just their knowledge of how to sort and build things. This is what you call craftsmanship. There is a great combination of knowledge, patience, and pride in one’s work that goes into craftsmanship and that is what I really appreciate in a craftsperson.

I realize that we all enjoy doing something and at some point, if we’re lucky, we get to put that to use making a living. I really appreciate that there are people who like to do things that I don’t—things I need but have no desire or patience or ability to make. Some craftspeople that I have really appreciated in the recent past include cabinet makers, electricians, plumbers, carpenters, and masons. Our new garage was built by some pretty incredible people who were skilled in cement work and woodwork. Someone else came and installed the garage door. A former student came and welded and installed beautiful railings. I had a ceiling heater in the bathroom that went out so I replaced it. A few month later the fan on it went out and it got so hot it melted the plastic container around it. That cinched my decision. We used a space heater for a few weeks and I had another of my former students come and put in an electric heater on the wall that has great heat and turns off right away if anything goes awry or if it just gets too hot. He did a great job and knew all the connections and seamlessly put it into the wall without even messing up the paint job. I would have been swearing profusely and grouching at any family member who dared make helpful suggestions.

One of those old philosophers called this the division of labor. I, for one, am more than happy to divide my labor with someone who knows how to build beautiful cupboards, who can wire my house in such a way that I can have electric heat in my bathroom, who can build me a beautiful garage and patio, who can weld and form iron into beautiful railings. If I had to do all of those things myself, I’d just have shelves in my kitchen, a space heater in my bathroom and a much larger lawn. Things around my place would be very different because we all put up with quite a bit of inconvenience if we don’t have the abilities or aptitudes to make or craft certain things that we use in our lives.

I feel very fortunate to have lived in the same small community for nearly thirty years and to have been the man to train so many in the rudimentary arts of language. That’s my craft. In turn I have been able to employ many of these friends to make my own living situation more comfortable. The skills of craftspeople are amazing to me. I can’t fully describe here just how thankful I am for these people who grew up around me or their parents who entrusted me to teach their children. To see human being hone their crafts and share those with me and others is truly wonderful. Any part I may have had in helping others develop a craft, market that craft, and earn a living from it is truly humbling. I am very proud to be the beneficiary of so many American craftspeople and I am so thankful because it truly is what makes this country the wealthiest country in the world. And sometimes, when I’m opening a smooth drawer or feeling warmth from the heater as I shave, I have a moment of clarity and realize how fortunate I am. 


No comments:

Post a Comment