Monday, March 18, 2024

Poem: Joseph, Joseph Dear

Joseph, Joseph Dear

 By now, at dinner time

They should have seen him in his prime—

Visage of their scorned brother

Who, overcome with another

Emotion left the room

And wept, Joseph hiding his gloom

Seeing Ben, mother’s son.

Now Benjamin was there and none

Could see Joe for he left

And alone in other room wept.

In spite of all those dreams he knew

It was as brothers grew

Apart. “But God, how could you do

This to me? Parted so

Forlorn, accused of nothing and

Imprisoned, interpreting damned

Others dreams while there I rot.

Having my brothers serve is not

What I wished, yet told them

Such as I saw brought on this grim

Being. Now on this dais

Of both Egyptian scorn and praise

Freeing from famine, yet…

I wrestle with you, my Lord. Let

Me not like father be

But at peace with the God I see.”

All these struggles and tears

He hid, oh Joseph, Joseph dear.

 December 2021

 About this poem: This is another one of my poems exploring thoughts of biblical characters, mostly from Genesis. Since I'm the author and nothing is recorded, it's obviously a projection based on how I'd feel if I were stuck in Joseph's place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment