Monday, September 2, 2024

Poem: and then what happened


and then what happened
was-
and then 
what happened-

an' then I 
was thinkin' 
that it was
feelin' better.

I was 
feelin' better.

I was just
let alone.

So my mother 
bought me an ice cream

an' I bought myself
an ice cream

and I ate that.

I thought that
would make me
feel better.

I was all
shuup, shuup, shuup, 
you know,
and then,
you know,
just all of a sudden-
an' then
I started feelin'
real
sick.

I just got
this 
terrible feelin'
after I stopped 
eatin'
ice cream,
and what not,
like

Oh shoot!

Oh God!

About This Poem
I wrote this poem in the mid 80s, so it's old. I was given a story to read and I took some of the dialogue and reworked it into this poem. I guess what I'm saying is that ice cream doesn't always make you feel better...  The picture is from Faneuil Hall in Boston (one of the oldest markets in the country) in November of 23.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment