Monday, September 10, 2018

Running at 56


At 56 years of age I have finally given up on the idea that I need to run six days a week. I have found that when I run every single day (unless the runs are three miles and under) I get worn down, tired, and cranky. (I’m always cranky when I’m tired or stressed.) But I still want to stay in good enough shape to go for a run and enjoy it. Running keeps me in touch with my body and my emotions. Running is meditation and I don’t plan on giving it up.
During the summer I run anytime I feel like it. As a teacher I have time off and my commitments are based upon my schedule and not the ring of dismissal bells. I don’t get up as early because I don’t have to and I’ve never been a morning runner as a solo act but summers can get hot so morning is definitely the best time. Around here in June it’s still pretty cool so I can run anytime I want for the most part. So in June I did enjoy mid-morning runs, but as the summer heat intensified I started running around eight instead of ten.
Another bonus of being an older runner is that I’ve stopped worrying about being overly competitive. I don’t have to prove anything except that I still enjoy the sport. Now when I enter a fun run it really is fun. I do all the socializing that I ever did, but some of it is during the run. I’m not concerned about which side of me is being viewed while I run so I don’t try to keep everyone behind me.
I run every other day and if I need to take a walk break I don’t get upset about being out of shape. But now in September it’s cross country season and I’m back to running every day. While I am in good shape I still sometimes push myself a little hard, get winded and need to regroup my head space. I also have taken to amateur phone photography and runs are the perfect places for scenery, flowers and wildlife while taking a walk break. To be honest, I think I have reached the perfect point in my running life. I get to smell the roses, meditate, and stay healthy. Sometimes I’m fast and sometimes I’m not, but I’m always having a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment