Monday, September 10, 2018

63. Hispanic American Culture


            With the exception of a year abroad as a Fulbright teacher in England, I have always lived in the United States and until some trips abroad I really had no understanding of what the “melting pot” really was. I just thought it meant that we were a bunch of nationalities and races coming together to form our own new nationality. I don’t really think that’s true anymore. I think we are still all those various cultures that have come together on the ideas espoused in the Declaration of Independence, still retaining our own individual cultures and remaking them without even knowing it. We have changed greatly over the past 400+ years because we live together and learn from others.
            Hispanic culture that filters up from Latin America is a huge cultural influence that is actually older than our “English” culture. And I love it. Come on, who doesn’t? Even when some may deride Hispanic culture as garish with its gaudy colored houses and chickens in the yard, we still eat Nachos, and drink Corona and Margaritas. We love chocolate and coffee that comes from South America. We hike through Canyons, wondering silently what a gorge even is. We Americans are so heavily influenced by Old Spain and its New World children that sometimes we don’t even know the words we speak as American English aren’t even part of the British lexicon.
            We Anglo-Americans are so confused we honestly think we aren’t enamored of Hispanic culture. I, for one, love that I can drive down the road and eat street tacos. I love that I had a pork burrito in salsa verde for lunch yesterday in Cle Elum, Washington. When I was in England I went to the one Mexican Restaurant in Exeter only to find that they thought blackened catfish with rice and beans was Mexican. I knew that even though Elizabeth I may have defeated the Spanish Armada, the marriage of the two cultures has its progeny right here in our New World country. So in my pursuit of happiness I wish to extol the virtues of Hispanic culture in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment