Friday, October 19, 2018

The Phrase That Lingers


The Phrase That Lingers

A phrase spoken lingers in the air
Hanging like a photograph on the wall
And I ponder it, much as I would that photograph.
Perhaps for everyone else time has moved on
But for me I’m caught in a sweet syrup
That flows slowly, clinging to the bottle,
It’s last drops hanging, nearly refusing
To let go.  And I’m that syrup
Clinging to that phrase.
Sometimes it might be words of beauty
That I want, perhaps need, to bask in.
Other times it cuts into me like a knife
And I won’t let go of the pain
Aching into my very core.
That last one is the phrase, like the photograph,
That I shouldn’t ever bother to even dust.
I should take it off the wall and
Throw it away.
But instead I wrap myself around it
Clinging to the pain it causes
Not even trying to drip off of it
Just ceaselessly clinging, remembering
That phrase came from
You.

Brian Potter

No comments:

Post a Comment