Tuesday, October 23, 2018

65. Maple Syrup

            When I was younger and we would have pancakes I would use an imitation maple syrup like Mrs. Butterworth’s on them. It was ok and I didn’t know any better but when I was older and went to Vermont for the first time, I had real maple syrup. There was no going back for me. The real thing makes all the others pale.
            Maple syrup is a very American thing. I now am speaking North American because we all know that most real maple syrup you buy in the U.S. come from Canada. Maple trees are from this continent and taking their sap and boiling it down to a syrup comes from this continent. Given the choice between baked beans on toast or maple syrup on a waffle, I’m going to always choose the waffles and syrup. To me it’s a no brainer. And yes, I’ll gladly take a maple bar for breakfast. There are many things that are distinctly American and I’m grateful for them. I’m especially grateful for maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment