Tuesday, January 21, 2020

121. Bourbon



I’m not much of a drinker. Generally, the daily glass of red wine for my health and a beer every now and then is about it. But of course there are occasions where I’ll have a drink with a friend or slip a little Bourbon into my sweet potato recipe or my pecan pie. And why not take a sip? So, yes, I have a fifth of Kentucky Bourbon in my pantry. And, like the old days, I will add some honey and lemon and water and make a toddy with Bourbon if I’ve got a cold in the winter. Of course it can be used for “medicinal purposes.”  And I know that old wink, wink that goes along with that “medicinal” phrase, but the truth of the matter is that it works. I have never visited a Bourbon distillery, but I know where my Bourbon comes from and I know it is from my own country. While I might not be swilling the Bourbon, nor do I think anyone should, I do take pride in it being part of my American heritage and the medicine for my sore throat and the flavoring in my sweet potatoes and my pecan pie. I see no reason to not be proud of a sip of good old Kentucky Bourbon every once in awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment