Tuesday, January 28, 2020

122. 14 Hands Winery


            I enjoy having a glass of wine every night before going to bed and sometimes with dinner. I had a minor heart attack about ten years ago and a single bypass surgery nine years ago, so having that daily glass of red wine has been approved by my doctors. I have also been living in the Pacific Northwest all of my life (with breaks for teaching and when my dad was in the military) and I have watched a little grape juice vineyard here and there turn into a respected wine industry over the past forty years. So, needless to say, I am a fan of some of the local wineries. One of those wineries that is worth a visit is the 14 Hands winery in Prosser, Washington.
            It’s a relaxing winery to go and taste a few varieties of wine. Right up against the Horse Heaven Hills just out of Prosser, the 14 Hands winery displays the winery logo in a parade of metal horses of a rust color. When you go inside there is a warm comforting atmosphere with plenty of windows to view the desert and the nearby roads. There are leather couches with coffee tables and someone will come to you with the wines that you want to taste. There is, of course, a bar that has a display of all the wines behind it and a nearby display of wine and winery trinkets for purchase. And if you don’t know much about wine or how it’s made you can ask and get an informative talk on the varieties of grapes, the wine blends, etc. It’s just a nice place to relax and while away an hour or so and come away with a nice bottle or two of wine.
            One of my favorite 14 Hands wines is the Red Blend. It’s a smooth tasting red that I’m sure would meet the approval of my cardiologist. It’s very drinkable and probably has notes of raspberries or some other pretentious flavor that is supposed to be good in a wine but that I am not well versed enough to explain in the language of a sommelier, nor do I necessarily care to be. It’s just a nice wine to sip with a meal or have with a friend. So, if you ever get to Prosser, stop in at this winery and taste a few wines. If getting to Prosser is unlikely, then go to your nearest store where you can get a bottle of good wine and try a 14 Hands. Or just get a bottle of whatever wine you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment