Monday, July 6, 2020

146. Immigrants


            We are a nation of immigrants. Research shows that even the native tribes are immigrants. All of us are descended from people who had to leave their homelands for various reasons. It’s not clear why all the migration to the Americas occurred—some from climate change, some from religious persecution, some for lust of wealth, some from innovation, and some through coercion and force. What we have brought to this land is the best and worst from wherever we came and we have collected it here on a foundation of ideals and a belief in opportunity. Many have been fortunate to find those opportunities while others have been consistently denied.
            I love that we have cultural bounty all around us even in the little rural town where I live. If I drive a few miles to the north I’m on the Coeur d’Alene Indian Reservation. A few miles south I am in one of two land grant university towns where (in healthier times) I can mingle with people of African, Asian, European, South and Central American, and Middle Eastern Cultures. I am aware that this is unique of such a rural area and that many of us are pocketed into regions of our own cultural identities or separated from those cultural identities. But it only takes a little effort to get out and see the various shades of America available for all of us.
            Currently immigration into the US is a problem because so many people want to come here to escape the violence and unrest in their own countries. They want to come here for all of the same reasons that our ancestors came here. Right now, we have an elected government that is far less welcoming than previous governments have been, though it would certainly be unfair to characterize any of our governments as welcoming beyond certain selective predispositions. Right now, what we are doing to prospective immigrants on our southern border is inhumane and needs to change but that will not happen until we change governments at the election. When justice does not prevail, we must fight back and I have been known to do that often simply by voicing my opinion, peacefully protesting when necessary, and voting.
            As a nation of immigrants and as the son of a long line of immigrants and as a Christian I believe in the humanity of all and I want to do all I can to promote that. So even though I am sheltering in place I will continue to support the variety of cultural identities that make up the fabric of this nation through my custom, through my profession and through my voice. I believe in the immigrant and the promise of our nation. There is no reason to have a statue in our most frequented harbor that says, “Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!” if we don’t believe it.
            We just celebrated our 244th birthday as a nation and now we are reckoning with a dark history that is over four hundred years old and continues to blot our existence. We must continue to grapple with that and rectify the wrongs while accepting the huddled masses to the shores of liberty. I know I am an idealist, but, again, as a son of immigrants and a proponent of compassion, I love this nation of immigrants and I hold to every ideal of liberty that goes along with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment