Monday, July 20, 2020

148. Salt Water Taffy


            Summertime is the time of year when Americans go on vacation. This year is different because we need to shelter in place to stop the spread of the Corona virus so fewer people are taking those trips. Of course, we are Americans and it is built into our national character to bristle at someone (God forbid, the government!) telling us what to do, so people who haven’t seen the devastation of this virus—the people who don’t believe in science, the people who have to see it to believe it, the doubting Thomases, the people who think it’s the flu, the people who believe you are a liberal wuss if you wear a mask—seem to be going out and spreading the devastation of their disbelief to the masses as the numbers and death tolls increase. But, lest I digress too much, it is vacation time in America. One of the best parts of a vacation for me is indulging my sweet tooth and I don’t eat salt water taffy many other times than summer vacation.
            Since I won’t be taking any vacations this year aside from some daytrips and maybe an overnight camp out (where I am alone) I guess I’m just going to have to imagine walking a boardwalk in Seaside, or even Sherman Avenue in Coeur d’Alene, and stopping in a candy store where they make fudge, serve ice cream and pull salt water taffy. I love a nice chocolate taffy, soft and wrapped in wax paper. Fresh huckleberry or blueberry is also a luxurious escape from everything but heaven. People are milling about on the streets of that mountain town where the heat is dry and short lived of a summer afternoon. Sunglassed mothers are pushing chubby little babies in strollers while their bearded, tank topped husbands are walking beside them holding the hands of an older child gazing into the windows of a sweet shop. At this point my indulgence runs toward the soft taffy with just a little black spot in the center. Licorice is the flavor I can buy that will be mine. The kids won’t walk off with more than one of those before realizing it’s not for them. Or maybe a spicy cinnamon starburst center. How do they get those designs so perfectly centered in those little candies?
            I can see the machines stretching and pulling the taffy reminding me of winters as a child when family and friends would gather for a taffy pull. It makes you forget the sunglasses you’ve perched on top of your head and you enter another world. Maybe now you’re out in an Adirondack chair in a hayfield at the base of one of the Green or White Mountains of New England enjoying the breeze of an afternoon as you indulge in a little maple gem of a taffy you just purchased at some little shop with a quaint name like Sleepy Hollow or something like that. Their flavors in that sweet, chewy stickiness can take you anywhere in this country of ours without really needing to go any further than your back porch. Do you feel that relentless sun in the heaviness of humidity from a thunderstorm as you try to gain relief by putting your feet in the warm bathtub of the Gulf of Mexico? The only possible relief is that little Key Lime taffy to get away from the oppression of a Florida summer.
            You know, I think I can get to all those places I’m thinking about with a quick masked trip to the grocery store where I can find a nice bag of salt water taffy (probably from Salt Lake City) and I will be able to transport myself anywhere with just a quick taste of somewhere else. I really love a vacation in a staycation bag of salt water taffy. I’ll be saving some money this year…

No comments:

Post a Comment