Monday, August 16, 2021

197. My Back Yard

 


I love my back yard. It’s where I go to get away from things while still being accessible with a shout. It’s where I go in the summer to sit and read or drink coffee in the morning sunshine while I journal or write poetry. We live on a hillside, as do most of the residents of Potlatch, and we have a two-car garage with a patio/car port and it is attached to the house with a little deck and steps down to the grass and my vegetable garden. I’m able to sit here and write, enjoy the company of friends or slip down into the corn and be lost from view to the whole world while I admire squash blossoms and honeybees or carrots and tomatoes.

Yesterday a young friend of mine, a former student, came over to visit and we sat out here on the patio and he told me I had a “chill vibe” about me that he loved. There is no place where I feel that vibe more than here in my back yard. Don’t get me wrong, I love my entire yard and feel very fortunate to live in a fully detached house where I can have a yard to just blend into the outdoors right at home, but the back yard is more welcoming for at home escapes and/or socializing while the front yard is more on display and I feel like I need to be working or preparing to leave.

Out back I can drink a beer and read poetry, shovel snow and build a fire in the fire pit. I can escape the street lights at night and view the constellations and the Milky Way. On the north side it has potted flowers where hummingbirds linger in the summer evenings and the grass is nearly perfect. On the south side the grass is mostly weeds but the vegetables grow like a jungle fringed with sunflowers. The hedge between my neighbor to the south provides a bit of privacy but not so much that I can’t have a chat with the lady next door. This side of the yard is the side where I have projects and plans for further landscaping and it all keeps me satisfyingly busy. I really love my back yard.



No comments:

Post a Comment