Monday, August 23, 2021

198. Green Beans


I know I have mentioned my love for gardening, my back yard, and my flowers. And at times I have gotten very specific about particular things I love in that garden and back yard. Now it’s time to get back to those specifics and remind myself about my love for green beans, the green beans that I grow. To be honest, they aren’t all green. (I grow bush beans, though as I get older I am considering starting to grow pole beans so I don’t have to bend over so much when I pick them). I have yellow wax beans, green beans, and purple beans that turn green when you cook them. My garden space isn’t terribly large so I cram things together. The beans are scrunched in between sweet corn and squash this year. And because it has been such a hot summer I have been overwhelmed by my garden. The beans are good this year.

I like getting out and picking them. It’s a necessity, so I can’t use the “It’s too hot” excuse. I just have to get out there and pick them. Because they are bush I get to test my blood pressure from bending over and picking. If it’s low I get dizzy when I stand back up. I also test my back stamina which is why I am considering pole beans…

I don’t mind the labor associated with green beans because they taste good. I usually fry up some bacon and cook the beans in the fried bacon with a little water. That’s probably the least healthy way to do it, but I’m also game to just boil them with some salt and herbs. They taste good almost anyway they are cooked. It’s also good to just take any excess that we get and blanche them in boiling water for a couple of minutes then throw them in ice water before freezing them in baggies or freezer safe containers. Then I have a few in the freezer to get out and cook any way I like when aren’t in season. I will say this: I very seldom have any in the freezer to bring out in the off season because I, and my family, tend to eat them all in season. I love green beans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment