Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Poem: My Sunset

 



My Sunset

 It’s kind of crazy to think of myself

Running out in the woods here at twilight.

I don’t often come up on the deer here.

They typically cross my path, their white tails

Waving danger. In winter I wouldn’t

Run because of the snow. One time I was

Running on Veteran’s Day and fell and

Broke my hand. I was so embarrassed

That I popped right back up not knowing that

I was even injured. I ran a half mile

Before I even noticed the throbbing.

Now it’s summertime and I go traipsing

About through the woods frolicking with deer

Not even seeing that they are there and

Certainly not thinking that I can fall

And injure myself here when it’s almost

Dark. Then I smell the syringa heavy

On the air. I take a deep breath, look out

On the field, the last glimmer of sunlight

Changes the clouds and I think about all

The disease and my age and that I might not

Have much more time to run at twilight

In the woods. What if I fall and get hurt?

I shake that thought with just a tinge of red

And run on into what is my sunset.

 July 2020

About This Poem

I realize that I still act like I'm a kid sometimes when I'm out roaming the woods. One time I was out running and started thinking about my age and how I have hurt myself while thinking I'm younger than I am. This poems is what came of that thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment