Monday, April 29, 2024

Poem: Frost Covers the Cornstalks


Frost Covers the Cornstalks

Frost covers the cornstalks

Shivers shocks to the ground;

Ice covers all the walks

Where all were wont to be bound.

Colored leaves of yellow

Begin patterning grass

In myriad winnows

That were in the trees last

Night and now rimed with ice

In the yard. How quickly

Summer fades to this nice

Transition that soon grimly

Brings the bitter snowy

Cold. Just yesterday I

Was playing, now suddenly

I’m old. But here awhile

I’ll linger ‘midst colors bold

To hold in frozen tableau

My memories of old.

I still can move a bit

And, careful on this ice,

The mem’ries with wit

Arranged on grass so nice

As if still suspended

In the trees.

October 2018

About This Poem
Weather is often an inspiration for my poetry and this is an example of that. Clearly autumn works as a symbol of aging and that's the case in this poem. I also just love the fall, so I have decided I need to embrace aging as well.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment