Monday, June 3, 2024

Poem: Beautiful Melancholy

Beautiful Melancholy

 Beautiful melancholy that I love,

Spreading darkness on the day,

Bringing rain from far away;

Take me to earth’s turbulent shores,

Take my mourning and make it yours.

 

Coolness of spring

Spread icy with rain

Bringing floods and causing pain,

Take me to earth’s turbulent shores,

Take my suffering and make it yours.

 

With the wonderment of agony, I see

Contorted bodies writhing painfully.

Sun so bright in the distance shine.

Take me from earth’s turbulent shores,

Take my agony and make it yours.

 

Light so bright

Nailed to a tree

Rent the veil

And transfigured me.

 

February 1983

About This Poem

This one is from the archives, for sure. I can't remember the inspiration, but it clearly fits into my poetry on faith and weather. It's mine, so I see things I could tweak. But I'll leave it as is for now. If the date is right, I wrote this during my Junior year in college. Some of the poem is probably just the angst of a young man, but some is probably the turmoil and deaths I had experienced and recalling it on a bleak day. I have a lot of really bad poetry from that time, so this one seems a little refreshing in comparison. :)

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment