Friday, June 28, 2024


Avocados

Groggily leering at a bowl of avocados
each labeled individually
of their own accord—
speaking through 
my morning haze, 
“Why do they label each fruit
individually? What are you
supposed to do with the stickers?”

I think drearily
of apple stickers 
stuck upon counters,
walls, wherever,
and how my wife 
thought it stupid
that they would let 
their children defile
the habitation that now
temporarily became ours.
“How do you know it was
the kids?” I asked,
thinking of how I’d never
seen our children eat apples without first 
being sliced individually.

And Ron has never even 
taken time to remove the sticker,
just biting into the apple
devouring peel, paper and all.
But that’s apples 
and these are avocados
and you never eat the peel 
of an avocado
so it can just compost itself 
away as if being swallowed
whole by a man
who is indifferent to stickers
of red delicious gala
golden delicious cosmic crisp
jonathan counter top
chair floor avocado
worms grass beetles…
And my morning thoughts 
slip drearily into breakfast
and apple slices and
avocado toast and compost
and men and women and children
and furniture and
aren’t those avocados arranged beautifully?

March 2021

About This Poem
This is a poem that roams into the world of stream of consciousness based upon a bowl of avocados and what they made me think of. Life can seem so random and things from nowhere can make you think of the strangest memories or projections. This poem is an example of that. I'm sorry I had to use a fruit stand shot, but apparently I don't take photos of avocados, in spite of the thoughts they inspire in me.  




 

No comments:

Post a Comment