Monday, August 12, 2024

Poem: August Prayer

August Prayer

Thank you, Lord, for this day,
A day in which I’ll have lots to say.
What, in your plan, needs to make it so hot?
Not gonna lie, I think it’s a lot of rot.

I know it’s not really my place
To complain of the heat in your grace,
But you even named Jacob
“Wrestles with God,” and hot it is, God.

But maybe that is part of your plan
Because in this heat I do sweat, man.
Not likely to get me wrestling well
When I’m slick as grease. Oh hell,

You make it just as hot as you please
And I’ll figure a way to cool a spot. Geeze.
I know you care for the sparrow that falls
And in this heat, you got a lot of gall

To make so many of those little ones fall
And my morning whining is just my call.
Thank you for September when it cools
And you don’t have to hear this whining fool.

August 2022

About this Poem:
I think some people think God doesn't have a sense of humor, so we have to be completely reverential and serious in our prayer. I, obviously, don't think that at all. This is a lament with a humorous bent. And I thought it appropriate for this year. The photo is the sun in its smoky splendor a few years back.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment