Monday, June 8, 2020

142. Yellowstone Falls


            There isn’t a whole lot of traveling going on yet because, except for some slight openings most of us are still sheltering in place as much as possible. Right now, the country—indeed, the world—is enraged over the very public death of George Floyd, a black man in Minneapolis for a petty offense that he probably didn’t even commit. Black Americans continue to be targeted by police and anti-black protocol seems to be very much a part of American policing. If we believe in justice for all, then why does this continue? I can’t answer that, but I believe I must do my part to stop it. On this platform I can only speak to the problem and hint at some small solutions.
            There is a place I would travel to right now if I weren’t sheltering in place that would bring a sense of cleansing. I’m sorry if that seems like a corny transition go get me back to speaking about my gratitude for things American, but I do believe waterfalls are cleansing and I’ve been writing about them for weeks now. And I know there are plenty more wonderful waterfalls in this country than I will get to, so if you can, visit one and use it to meditate. The waterfall I am thinking of right now is Yellowstone Falls in Yellowstone National Park.
            I will say this about all the waterfalls I’ve mentioned—they don’t suffer fools or foolish behavior. Their beauty and their natural force are destructive without consideration of humanity or any merit we might place upon ourselves. People frequently die at waterfalls because they don’t respect the force, the height or the reality of those falls or their indifference to our very existence. Yellowstone Falls is beautifully indifferent to all of that, so trying to get closer to get a great photo is not a good idea. The las time I visited just a few days after I was there a woman did that very thing and fell down the cliffs over 500 feet to her death as her family watched in horror. Stepping beyond the humanly established boundaries that remind us to respect the falls is never a good idea. For me that just adds to the respect and awe that I treat such falls. I know you can’t get anywhere near the falls, though there are many places to see them from different angles. You won’t be alone when you go to these falls because they are in Yellowstone and Yellowstone in the summer gets visitors from all over the country (I’ve counted license plates from all fifty states there) and the world. It is the world’s first national park, so that’s not a surprise.
            I love these falls because they exist, they rush over a colorful place of yellow rock in a surrounding of mountain splendor. I’m also very proud of the fact that they represent the region of the country where I live. I suppose that’s true of every waterfall I’ve described so far. They all demonstrate the power in the earth that is much stronger than we are. That, in itself, is beautiful. I love humanity, but we are a prideful species that has a great deal of intelligence but it is still no match for the innate power of the universe that can in one small blink, wipe us from existence. So, if we continue to ignore our humanity and its beauty to our detriment, we can simply be washed away by the power of a waterfall. Yellowstone Falls is just one of those falls and I am grateful it is there to serve as a place of reverence for that which is greater than me, greater than us. Because of that, I believe we need to respect each other and ourselves, recognizing the gift we have in being here right now. Yellowstone Falls reminds me of just that and I am grateful for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment